last update: 1st March 2016
coordinates for GPS:
The next guided castle tour is on July 14th 2019 10 AM
|the bildout of the rock 'Nanstein' can be just documented in second half of the 12th century|
|1152 - 1160||Friedrich Barbarossa (Emperor Friedrich I Hohenstaufen) constructed an imperial palace in Kaiserslautern.|
As shelter for the streets and the country arose around the imperial palace several castles.
Some other castles of that protective circuit are 'Beilstein' (Hochspeyer) and 'Hohenecken Nanstein'.
|1189||first certificate of Castle 'Nanstein'.|
|1444||the regimen of the castle is divided, five different families had the power:|
1st co-owners: counts of 'Sponheim'
2nd co-owners: counts of 'Zweibrücken-Bitsch'
3rd co-owners: counts of 'Nassau-Saarbrücken'
4th co-owner: duke of 'Zweibrücken'
5th co-owner: knight 'Wirich Puller of Hohenburg'
|~ 1479||knight Schweikert von Sickingen (father of Franz von Sickingen) got a part of the castle through the marriage to Margarete Puller von Hohenburg (mother of Franz von Sickingen)|
|1518||knight Franz von Sickingen gained all parts of Castle Nanstein => sole ruler of the castle|
- From that time on he began to convert the castle to a fortress (Battery-tower)
|29.04.1523||the three princes secular: Landgrave Philipp of Hesse, archbishop and elector Richard of Greifenclau (Trier) and prince secular Ludwig V. of Palatinate besieged the fortress of Landstuhl|
|30.04.1523||the three princes secular started the borbardement|
|2.05.1523||a wall with 24 feet diameter came down|
|1542||the sons of Franz von Sickingen regained the properties of Landstuhl back but not the money and the jewels|
|1543||the castle was converted a la Renaissance style|
|1590||the grand-son of Franz von Sickingen, Reinhard built a bastion at the north side of the castle|
|1620||engraving of Merian|
|1668||prince elector of Palatinate detonated parts of the castle|
|1689||command of Louis XIV. to burn the castle|
|1815||the reign of Palatinate belonged to Bavaria|
|1856||some citizen of Landstuhl began to remove the rubble of the castle and to expose the wall remains|
|1869||Carl Ferdinand Stumm became the new owner of the castle and began to rebuilt parts of the “Battery-tower”|
|22.03.1871||after the French-German war of 1870/71 an oak was plant as a peace symbol|
|1903||the ruin and the forest became part of the kingdom of Bavaria|
|1946||the area became part of the state of Rhineland-Palatinate|
|1969||the tower with the stairs was restored|
|since 1963||castle plays in the summer time|
|1979/80||second floor of the 'Battery-tower' was rebuilt|